TGO practice hike Cuivre River State Park 3.20.22

 A little longer walk today. I was back at Cuivre River State Park, where the trails were closed last week due to a prescribed burn, which didn't happen anywhere near this part of the park, but I guess they shut down the whole park just to be safe. Time to start paying attention to pack fit, weight, shoes, clothes and log some miles with an almost full pack. It was a fantastice weekend, weather wise in town, and I wanted to get out yesterday, but the day dawned rainy and blustery in the early morning and then changed to blue skies and sunshine. I was not feeling great, so I stayed inside and rested, but today I had to get out! 

I was at the trail head around 9:30 and was the only car, it was about 35F and sunny. It warmed up quick to end my hike around 65F. It is hard to predict what to wear in Scotland under Missouri conditions but it can be all four seasons in one day and has on previous trips. 

I put together some familiar loops with some connector trails that I have not used much to make a bigger loop. It could go bigger if I want to about 20 miles total and I will get up to that before May. 




Trail head empty but open. Kudos to the park for placing porta potties at some of the TH!
This is the Cuivre River North Trail (Red) along Lincoln Hills Rd. 
Most of Missouri woods look the same in the spring before the leaves return, but it really was a great morning to walk.

Most of the trails on this side of the Park are used extensively by horses riders and it shows in spots that can get really torn up if they use the trail just after a good rain. 

I took connector #5 and had my first crossing of Big Sugar Creek, but just a few steps up stream and I could cross without getting my feet wet. 

The connector was step leaving the creek, but really nice trail up to a ridge and then along the most north western part of the park 
Just as you are finished with connector #5, as it meets Cuivre River South Loop, you pass a private farm bordering the Park. What a fantastic location. I would love to have just a few acres like this bordering the park. In fact right in front of this tree would be fine! 

More views through the barren trees of the ridges around the park 

Just as I got to the very best spot on the cliff that runs down the western part of the park and I was going to sit for a bit and have a rest and a bar, two horse riders came at the same time and said they were stopping here as well.... guess I will move on a bit. 

I did find a nice shady spot just down the ridge to sit for a bit. Good drop off here.

The ubiquitous view out to the West. It is a fantastic view but spoiled a bit by hearing the highway near by.

The trail down the cliff edge 


My little spot 

I then veered off on Connector #3 and found a lovely pond tucked back in the trees just off the trail.

Historical Trash "can"

Lovely sunshine and more woods 
Connector #3 T's back into the South Loop and I then headed north on the South Loop to Connector #4

Before you climb back up to the ridge and connector #4 crosses the Big Sugar Creek again. 

Only one shoe got wet  

Connector #4 eventually T's back into the North Loop, 

I followed the South Loop till trail connector #4 and took it around to meet the North Loop again.
I also ran into the couple riding their horses again along this ridge when I reached the North Loop.

Looking North East along the North Loop and Connector #4

Where the North Loop and connector #4 meet there are two springs. The first below looks like it will last all year, 

This smaller spring might dry up in the heat of summer.

Back to the parking lot and a lot more cars and people, but I didn't see them.

Time and pace 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of spammers, I moderate all messages. Your comments should be posted shortly- Thank you

Support Our National Parks - Preserve - Protect - Enjoy