OTSHAB HYOY March 8-10 2024

 A very interesting hike this weekend with members of the Ozark Trail Section Hikers and Backpackers (OTSHAB). This weekend was devised by Andi and Dean. It was given as just a spot (coordinates) in the woods and you had to figure out where it was and how you wanted to get to it. When Andi had laid out the event, (a spot big enough for 35 people) it had triggered a memory I had of a spot that was on a GPX track she had sent me for the North Fork section of the OT. She had put a note on a waypoint (campsite big enough for 25-30 people). I had a pretty good idea this was the spot she had picked and when the coordinates arrived, it turned out to be correct, a very nice spot along the North Fork section of the Ozark Trail. Now it was just a question of where to start. There had been a comment that you had to do a minimum of 7 miles, but that turned out to be just a suggestion! 😄


Noblett lake was a spot I had never been too and it was about 15 miles from the designated campsite. I arrived on Friday afternoon, planning to camp at one of the dispersed camping spots and then hike down to the coordinates on Saturday (we were suppose to arrive by 4pm) and then hike back to my car on Sunday. Noblett Lake is a really pretty primitive camping spots. I had called the Ranger station earlier in the week to verify I could park my truck overnight. 


The spillway at the end of Lake Noblett

The frogs were really "in the mood" Friday evening and they were quite loud down by the lake.

I had set up in the late afternoon for some car camping and hammock hanging for the night. It was cloudy and threatening rain, but it never really rained


I make most of my backpacking meals, the classic Skurka recipes are great, but I have been making a lot from Backcountry Foodie. These are created by a dietician and hiker and most are really good. I ordered a few that they make, in order to see if what I make is the intended result. This one I had not made yet, but it is Couscous Lasagna. It is neither the best of couscous or lasagna! 😏 I would skip this one. 

Dessert, however was great. I picked up this pastry in Houston on my way this afternoon. 

It had just gotten dark and I was just getting snug in the hammock when a car pulled into my spot. It was Andi and Jenny. They along with about 7 more of the OTSHAB "regulars" had decided to car camp here at Noblett Lake and were down in the RV loop. They invited me to come down and share the fire and hang out a bit. So I followed them down to the spillway area and hung out for about an hour or so to chat and keep warm by the fire. Then it was back up the hill to my hammock.

It was a good night, the temps dropped a bit and it was chilly in the morning, but I was up and signing into the trail register around 8:30 am. 

Needed all my clothes for the first couple of hours for sure. 38 F degrees! 

Jeremy and I had just walked the North Fork section of the OT in April '23, but this is a roughly 6 mile connector from Noblett Lake to the OT first. 



Missouri has been exceptionally dry this winter. We have even had a couple of forest fires. I can not remember the last time that happened. This was going to be a long day without much water and I started with just a single liter. This creek would normally have water, was bone dry! 


About half way, somewhere above Moss Hollow, I stopped for lunch and to air my feet out. There had been a wet creek crossing at about mile 2 and my socks were still a bit damp.  I had my usual tuna, cheese, and Fritos on a tortilla, that only took about 15 minutes. I had stopped at around 12 noon but the next thing I knew it was 1 pm. I had taken a little 45 minute nap after lunch.


Gathering my stuff up and getting back to walking I arrived at Tobor Creek about 3 pm. Andi has sent me a message on my Garmin Inreach that there was no water in the creek but their was water at the Tabor Spring House, just a half-mile down the trail in the opposite direction. 


The area is the sight of an old homestead and what I think was a "spa" using the water from the spring.


The spring is located in a "spring house" dug into the side of the hill containing a concrete cistern for the spring. It has plenty of water and also a dead frog! 😲 


There were several other hikers, from our group, getting water as well and everyone was careful not to disturb the small bat hanging just above the spot that you stood to collect water. I did end up going 14 miles today on just one liter.


After gathering water it was just under a mile (all uphill) to reach the camp spot, and a lot of people had come. I knew that 35 people had registered, but you never expect almost everyone to show up! 


It was a really great group of "regulars" and many new faces to meet. 


There was a great fire and of course alcohol that went on into the wee hours with a few of our group having a "really" good time with their drink... 😄


I need some practice with my tent as I don't use it much, preferring the hammock, but since Scotland is coming up in May, I chose to bring the GG The One and use it. 


The day and the evening had been clear and cool all day. The sunset was terrific, but this meant the temps would be even colder than last night. 


The morning dawned and the fire was relit. A few sore heads and a few cold butts, but everyone made it through and were in good spirits. 


I asked if I could tag along with Jenny and Gwen this morning for a ride back to my truck at Noblett Lake. I was not feeling the 15 miles trip back this morning. While I only had a Bailey's and Coffee last night, my stomach was a bit upset and I had not slept well. So I tagged along with the girls and to my surprise and relief, it was only 3.5 mile back to where they had parked the day before. 


Gwen had a fine beer for the end of the hike. We then drove to get my truck and then on to Cabool, MO for a very fine lunch of Mexican food at Cozumel's
Then it was the 3.5 hour drive home.  


Stats:

Day 1



Day 2 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of spammers, I moderate all messages. Your comments should be posted shortly- Thank you

Support Our National Parks - Preserve - Protect - Enjoy