Ozark Trail Hike Berryman Campground to Hwy A (Bell Mountain) 39 miles November 13-15, 2013 Day 3 continued

Day 3- On My Own- Hwy DD parking area- Hwy A Trailhead 12 miles

After parting with the guys I looked at the map and decided to break the day up mentally into two parts, well three if you count the first 5.5 miles we all did together. I had 5.5 miles to Hwy 32 and then 6 miles to the finish. I knew the terrian would be much harder south of 32 so I decided to push myself in this section to make up some time.

I made it down to the split of the OT and the Council Bluffs trail ( past Nazarenko Spring)  in just 20 minutes


On top of the first rise 2.5 miles in 45 minutes
 the intersection of the split in the OT, south toward Bell Mountain or west toward the Middle Fork section. in 1 hour- 3 miles


Made it to Hwy 32 in 1'49" Kept up the 3 mph pace for the first 5.5 miles
 Crossing Hwy 32 into the older section of the OT is much harder. the trail seems to go straight up and down and doesn't contour as much. Hwy 32 is at 1460 feet and the streams are at around 500 feet. I would do this 4 times in the next 6 miles
 Panther Branch was good for 2 liters of water

More "turkey" fungus

 still some great views when you did top out on each ridge 
fortunately for me every valley had water except Big Spring just north of Hwy 32


old model A in the creek bed a Peter's Cave Hollow- I still missed seeing the caves- someday I will have to get back just to find them.
 As I came down the last ridge line I can see Bell Mountain across the valley from where I was standing












Done! 4'48" for 12 hard miles. Had the guys picked up in 30 more minutes and in 90 minutes we were eating in Boos Market and Diner in Potosi Mo having dinner....  I can recommend it highly.

Stay tuned for the video with me walking into a shooting range in the Hwy A parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of spammers, I moderate all messages. Your comments should be posted shortly- Thank you

Support Our National Parks - Preserve - Protect - Enjoy