TGO Challenge 2018 Day 6

Day 6- "Who let the dogs out, who, who"


Grampian Mountains in the morning of Day 6
Beinn a' Chreachain (with the snow) 1081 meters = 3340 feet and all the surrounding peaks

We woke up early and had a fantastic hot Scottish breakfast and went over the plans again. Vicky was going to Aviemore via Inverness and I was going to walk a few days on my own to Blair Atholl and then I would meet up with her at Aviemore. 

I got packed up and said goodbye to our hosts and Vicky and I was off. To be honest it felt like I was shot out of a cannon!

no chance of getting lost on the first part of today (below)

The route for today (Rannoch Moor to Wine and Cheese Party)
There are two parts to the walk today. The first is a quiet road walk down the B road from the Hotel. It is almost 8 miles and I made it in 2 1/2 hours! 




It was a fantastic day for walking, a cool breeze and plenty of sunshine. The road leads by Loch Eigheach (above) and the power station (below)

The River Gaur



















A few very lovely estates

The sheep and lambs have the best all day views

Then into Loch Rannoch with more great views 

 At 11:30 I used the last of my cell service, for the day, to text Vicky as she was getting ready to get on the train back to Fort William to say I was off the road and heading into the hills. The path that leads into the hills is on an estate but has a walkers gate so no climbing over fences required. 

Going through the gate you head up into the hills. On the right you can see a very ornate pumping house for the hydroelectric system on this Loch.


 Later on, more great engineering as you can see some of the water lines as they snake mostly underground between the Lochs and Dams.

Another Dam that creates the huge Loch Ericht that goes all the way up to the village of Dalwhinnie 

In a just another mile or so from the dam I reach the end of my day. Ruighe Ghlas, an old bothy that will be the site of this year's wine and cheese party. It is 12:30 and I have made the last section of 4.2 miles in 60 minutes (up hill) Did I mention I was excited to get out and walk today? 

The old Bothy sits in a absolute ideal spot for water and mountain views. 



Now only the sheep and the deer enjoy the views on most days. 

So what is the wine and cheese party? The event has been going on for years and has become a tradition during the challenge. It is the brain child of challenge "legends" (I can see their faces turning red at this point) Alan Sloman, Phil Lambert and Andrew Walker. It is held annually at a location to be determined by their route. A gathering for an evening of "well behaved" camaraderie in the hills. Always on the first Wednesday of the Challenge


Since I am here obscenely early the only thing to do is relax and have a bit of lunch. My pack is now back to normal for a couple of days walking. I had been carrying 8 days of food (4 for me, and 4 for Vicky) now I am down to just 2 days food which I am sure helped with my pace today. I did however have the hard salami (my favorite trail lunch) and a couple of fresh rolls I got in the bakery in Fort William, so I made a real deli style sandwich with some string cheese as well.

After Lunch it was time for a nap in the sun. The breeze was enough to keep the midges away but warm enough that the tent was too hot, so outside was perfect. 

 This afternoon was everything that I love about being outside.



It was about 5:30 to 6 pm when everyone started to show up, greetings were exchanged and their tents went up.


No two tents were the same, as everyone has their own style and preferences

 In the early evening sun it was time to spread out a blanket and get down to the business of the wine and cheese. A badge of honor for our American side as I had compliments on the good beer, whiskey and cheese I contributed to the party!

Alan, Phil, Andrew, Lynsey, Robin, Paul and myself. 

A delightful time. Appreciation of whiskey still eludes me, but maybe some day.














In the evening me and my tent, below, which seemed very big without Vicky
(picture lifted from Andrew Walker's Blog
http://akkwalks.blogspot.com) 


5 comments:

  1. Some cracking pictures there Craig :-)
    When (if?) I finally get around to writing my trip up, I might swipe a few of those, Sir!
    Love to Vicky
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff sir.
    I may steal 2 of your pictures of the C&W to add to my blog post ��☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and you as well Andy, use what ever you like

      Delete
    2. You are more relaxed on this hike, and it shows in your comments. Vicky is following and you all worked out the rest of the journey, so that's great. Love these pictures and narrative as usual. What fun to meet up with other hikers and enjoy beer, wine, cheese and whatever. (forget the whiskey--ugh) By the way, was there a day 5 and I missed it??

      Delete

Because of spammers, I moderate all messages. Your comments should be posted shortly- Thank you

Support Our National Parks - Preserve - Protect - Enjoy