TGOC '22 Day 2. Loch Affric to Cannich

Day 2 starts out better. I am surprised I am feeling as well as I am.  The weather starts off cloudy, but the wind has lessened and there is some sign of perhaps the sun. It probably helps that I know while today is the same mileage as yesterday it is a fairly easy day as it has half the elevation gain, in fact, it is really just a pretty stroll into a small village called Cannich. Vicky and I have been over some of this ground before and I am very familiar with the first half of the day walking down Loch Affric. 

Leaving my camping spot behind, below, you can see the two red barns as I look back on yesterdays walk. 


Just up ahead the Estate has put a cottage on the edge of the loch. This was not here the last time Vicky and I were through, but that was way back in 2015. This would have been the prettiest place to camp in the future. 


Our old friend, gorse. A really pretty flowering bush with a nasty surprise of big sharp thorns. Vicky and I consider it the national flower of Scotland! 

I don't carry an expensive camera, just my iPhone, but sometimes you get lucky. Below is the reason why Glen Affric is considered one of the most beautiful. A picture is worth a thousand words. 

Below is the Glen Affric Lodge, famously featured in David Beckman Whisky ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_tFlKjDU0E
The Estate has put up many new fences along the path and even a very large hydroelectric plant and several new cottages, including an eco style cottage right next to the old lodge (looks neat, but completely out of place!) since last I was here. You really can't get a good look at the old lodge from this side of the loch anymore, which I am sure was part of their intent.

Walking on past the lodge to the end of Loch Affric and into quieter woods, along Loch Beinn a' Mheadhoin.

Loch Beinn a' Mheadhoin

Lovely walking

Climbing a bit you reach an excellent view point, where you can look back down the lochs. 
                               

Reaching the end of Loch Beinn a' Mheadhoin and the dam that creates the twin lochs. There is a parking area with picknic tables and nice bathrooms! I stopped here for lunch and to air out my wet tent and feet. 

After lunch and a rest, it was across the minor road that runs along the North side of the lochs all the back to Affric Lodge and up through the trees

There is extensive logging going on up here and the path has given way to a large work road. You can also see the dreaded wind turbines in the distance. While on one hand you might applaud Scotland for embracing alternative ways to get energy, their decision of where to locate these wind farms are certainly a poor one. Most of these on shore "farms" are right in middle of the most scenic locations in Scotland, spoiling what is potentially Scotland's greatest source of income in these areas; tourism. 

Coming down off this hill it seems just a short walk into Cannich. 

Cannich is a charming village, as you enter a collection of teapots surrounds the central round-a-bout and the fact that they are not all broken and smashed gives you some idea of the quality of the Scottish character. 

Downtown Cannich consists of an elementary school, who by the way, were currently doing a campaign to remind residents to pick up their dog's poo on walks! The children's hand made posters were all over town. Hilarious! The Spar grocery store and the pub. The pub next to the elementary school, brilliant! LOL...


First thing, before going to find my campsite was to hit the Spar. I do love these little grocery stores. They remind me of the corner convenience stores that my grandfather would walk us too when I was really young to get ice pops. These shops have everything you need. 

Even my favorite ice cream. 

The Slaters Arms pub being right next door, it was certainly time for a beer. I think it was about 2 pm when I arrived and the place was empty except for the resident dogs. There were a total of 5 and each had their own particular job, mostly to lounge around on the carpet. 


The bar was open and I got a pint enjoyed my ice cream, petted some dogs and made reservations for dinner later that night

The Cannich Caravan Park is really nice. It is only a quarter of a mile from the pub. 

They have a super nice shower and bath house with a drying room

Plenty of space for tents as well as the "RV" sites with water and electric for vans and campers


Tonight I am splitting a "Hobbit" hut with Andy Walker to get indoors

These are just cute basic shelters, that do have electricity and a space heater. 


After getting checked in and everything sorted out, I decided to wash out my socks and get them dry. I brought two pair, one to wear and one to have ready and "cleaner" Not too bad for just a couple of days.😨 


Nothing to do but put my feet up and wait for Andy to arrive and go to dinner. I did end up running a few more chores, fetching whisky and chocolate for Andy, (He was out already on day 2!) but it was a quiet afternoon till dinner around 7:30 pm. Dinner and beers were great at the Slaters Arms and by then many Challengers had gotten into town and were pitched up on the grass or in other Hobbit huts and were also at dinner.

But many more couldn't get in, I watched, as for some reason, they turned away a great many customers that could have been served. I would guess that there might have been another couple of days of income turned away from empty tables and an early closing time. Clearly understaffed, the two kids (they looked maybe 15 and 16 working tonight waiting tables (perhaps the kids or grandkids, of the owner, had school the next day). I chalk it up to yet another mystery of Scottish business in the Highlands. 



Below; map and stats for Day 2 



















4 comments:

  1. Ha! The Slaters has always been an odd one, the landlord is a law unto himself (I think the young staff are locals, not relatives) Love Glen Affric ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. certainly not old enough to serve alcohol in the States!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoy seeing Scotland through your fresh perspective. Since the pandemic virtually every service business in the UK is suffering the same problem - a lack of people to work in an industry that was so badly burned. Most looked for other employment when they were laid off and if they succeeded are now very loathe to revisit what was an incredibly painful time. With time, and better pay and conditions, the situation will right itself, but not before more businesses go to the wall. A lot will have horrific cash positions and be sick and tired of their business that has become a millstone around their necks. We're not out of the woods yet, I'm afraid.

    A lovely day, Sir with a decent rest and grub ant the end as well. Poor choice of hobbit hut partner though...
    😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just my business upbringing that rears its head. I am sure they don't really need the money after all this time. You can never tell where Mad 'n Bad will go next, but I did enjoy the company.

      Delete

Because of spammers, I moderate all messages. Your comments should be posted shortly- Thank you

Support Our National Parks - Preserve - Protect - Enjoy