TGOC '22 Day 6 Red Bothy to Aviemore

Another first for my walk today, tackling the Burma Road. I am sure lots of people find this section just a long slog up a big hill, but I loved it. The fact that you can see all the way to where the path disappears over the top and that the entire surrounding look like you are walking on another planet, I find just exhilarating.  Perhaps you have to be a prairie boy to appreciate it, but I enjoyed this morning, despite the elevation gain to the top. This was also my first legitimate short day, at just under 11 miles into town. 

Leaving the Red Bothy crossing the bridge over the River Dulnain and looking northeast into the valley. You can see some big estates being built up here. 


Jim and I are walking together again today and you can see him, below, on the Burma Road. No doubt about where we are going today. It was not great weather, again! The wind was really high again and it rained a bit on our way to the top. 

One lone tree in a landscape of heather and peat 

Looking back at the last couple of days in the Monadliath Mountains. 

It does get rather steep moving toward the top. 


Making it to the top of the pass. 2336'. This was about a 9% grade toward the top.

Topping out and starting down the backside toward Aviemore

Over the top and first look at the Cairngorm Mountains 

Moving lower and a beautiful view of the Cairngorms

Making it all the way down the hill, Jim wanted to walk the road. It was way too busy for my taste, so I made him follow me to gain the cycle path for the last bit of walking into Aviemore. We both had to duck to get under the railroad tracks at this access point. 😁

Making it to Aviemore, Jim and I parted ways. He was staying at the Old Bridge Inn and I was going further into town to the Cairngorm Guest House, The Cairngorm Hotel has been booked for months before the Challenge for this night. I really appreciated Jim's company for the last few days and learned a lot walking with him- Thanks Jim  


I first stopped by the Tesco grocery store to get food for the next few days, the outdoor shop for a new can of stove gas and a Cairngorm mountain weather report for tomorrow, then carrying all my goods, I stopped at the Winking Owl for a pint before heading down the street to my B&B. This Cairngorm Guest House is really too fancy for me, but Vicky and I had stayed there before and it was available so I took it for the night. I would normally have wanted to be in Aviemore on a Thursday night, today being Wednesday, so I could see the Ceilidh band, Tweed. They used to play at the Cairngorm Hotel, where we first discovered them, but now they play at the Winking Owl, who have also greatly expanded since my last visit with a brand new bar and outdoor patio area. 
The beer was good! Later that night I came back to the Owl to have diner with a friend and fellow American, on the Challenge, Benny Braden. He also planned to go up Ben MacDui tomorrow so we shared routes and talked about how his challenge had gone so far. 














Today's Stats:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of spammers, I moderate all messages. Your comments should be posted shortly- Thank you

Support Our National Parks - Preserve - Protect - Enjoy