TGOC '22 Day 9 Tomnamoine Township Ruins to Loch Callater Lodge

Today felt like a day of three parts and certainly the most social day of my crossing this year. I woke up to my beautiful view on my little secluded hill and had some breakfast, coffee, and just leisurely packed up. This is the last morning of my FWA, I have made up 3/4 of a day and will be back on my intended route by late afternoon. Today like the last two are not strenuous in anyway, just lovely walking in great scenery.   

If you look closely at the photo below you can see Gordon's, light green tent, just visible below me


Having packed up and cleaned up I descended back to the track and took this picture looking back at my spot. My tent, indicated by the yellow arrow,  was just on the mound of dark heather to the right of the pine trees. 


Looking back West toward White Bridge. 

As I mentioned yesterday in just about a mile I entered the Linn of Dee Forest. This area had established camping spots down by the River Dee and would have been a lovely place to camp for the night. Probably less sheep poop than I had to deal with! 

The forest is the beginning of the Mar Estate. Another mega estate owning thousands of acres of land in the area. This one however is owned by the National Trust so there are more established recreational facilities for people. Think of this as a US National Park with a big hotel in it. The parking lots were full of cars and camper vans with people out walking or on bicycle. 
The photo below is crossing over the Lui Bridge in the Mar Estate

A great to sell your eggs! 

Mar Lodge provides Tea and Coffee to Challengers as they pass through the Estate. 

Challengers enters in by the Estate's Stable building. I don't think they are stables anymore, but have been turned into offices and facilities for the Estate. 


Very upscale 'stables'



Challengers are welcomed and you can see that this is a very popular spot to stop and take a break and catch up with other Challengers. Mar Lodge sits at a funneling point for Challengers coming from different directions and has long been an established target point for Challengers coming out of the Northern Cairngorms or the Feshie and into Braemar. 

You know that hotel I mentioned a few moments ago. This is it! I had to walk by the main 'Lodge' It is quit the building. It is a hotel of sorts, self catering with apartment suites inside you can reserve for up to 43 people! Prepare to pay thousands to stay here, whether you are going to hold a wedding or come to stalk deer. 



The formal entrance to Mar Lodge is Victoria Bridge. It has been closed for renovations the past few years, but was open this year before the Challenge. One of the reasons I came this way, was to see the Lodge and walk across the updated bridge. The pavement was not very smooth (I think I might ask for some of my money back! 😂) It was very nice

The front of the bridge.

There is a couple of forest paths that lead from Victoria Bridge to Dairy Cottage (just a house) to keep you off the main busy road, but I couldn't find how to get into the woods as there was nothing but big fences, so I walked the road for a bit until you can turn off and up into some very nice woods that will lead you into the the outskirts of Braemar. 
A couple of very nice little lochans (ponds) at the top of the forest climb. 

The marked paths that take you into Braemar. You can pick your path here as there are about 4 different ways you can go that all lead to essentially the same place. 

another beautiful view


Emerging from the trail system at some 'duck ponds' 

Yes please- a new little cottage being built right by the duck ponds. 















The Bridge in Braemar over Clunie Water, which flows into the River Dee. This sits right next to, the now, insanely expensive Fife Arms hotel. 

The Fife Arms (below). Vicky and I stayed here in 2014 before it was renovated. The room that we stayed in was around $225 for the night, it is now $1495! 

This is the end of Part 1 of my day. Once I arrived in Braemar I had lots to do and lots happened. I needed food, so I stopped at the Hazelnut Patisserie just down the road from the duck pond for some croissants and brownie for later, It is also attached to the Braemar Brewery, but that was not open yet, it was only about 11am at this point of the day. I then went into town for Fish and Chips at The Highlander. Across the street was the outdoor shop, I needed a fresh canister of gas and they have also opened a restaurant called the Bothy. It looks to have become the 'hot' spot in town. I ran into Carl Mynott, Andy Walker, Martin Rye, and several others who had been in town for the night, as I was originally intending.  After spending a really nice time talking to everyone, I still needed some food for the next day and  a half, so I went up to the Co-Op and got some more meat and cheese, fruit, bread, etc. Then it was across the street to the pharmacy, as I
was still continuing to be a snot factory, for most of this trip, for some cold and flu pills. I then parked myself on a bench across from the Fife Arms and sorted my stuff, called into Challenge Control and let them know I was now back on my original route and prepared to head about five miles down to Loch Callater Lodge
End of Part 2 of my day

About 2pm I walked out of Braemar via the golf course route, there was some lovely gardens along the way

The road out of Braemar

Crossing over Clunie Waters outside of Braemar

The Track to Loch Callater

Bridge over the Callater Burn

Must be close

Coming through the gate and arriving at Loch Callater Lodge.

Just when you think you have Scottish nomenclature figured out. You think you know the size of a 'Lodge' This is Loch Callater Lodge below

Remember Mar 'Lodge.' Who can figure it out? 


View of Loch Callater and the Southern Cairngorms, which will be my target destination for tomorrow. 

This year's challenge, with its staggered starts, meant that Loch Callater would see Challengers on multiple nights. Bill, who is the long time caretaker of the Lodge, said they did not serve food or alcohol or provide beds on some nights, but tonight he did it all. It was wonderful to be able to experience the 'normal' tradition at one of the most iconic social points on the Challenge. (it is one of the reasons I chose to come this way!) Bill made a huge portion of pasta and sauce, Ian and Craig helped in the kitchen.

Craig tended the lounge bar. 
I made sure to contribute mightily to the slush fund in the morning. 

Before the party started to get too far along, Bill called us all to orders and gave a toast and a sang a heartfelt song of lament to friends now gone. 


*Warning* Do not play without tissue in hand. 
I am not sure Bill did this any other night, and I was privileged to be present 


After, the socializing started to kick into gear. 
Andy Walker and Mick (Croydon) on guitar and vocals. 













I was told that the revelries went on till 1 or 2 am! however, me and Zuri (below) had long gone to bed by 10 pm. 
A wonderful end of today's third part.


Today's Stats:







2 comments:

  1. Ah,the Full Callater experience. Well done, Sir!

    ReplyDelete

Because of spammers, I moderate all messages. Your comments should be posted shortly- Thank you

Support Our National Parks - Preserve - Protect - Enjoy